By: Kim Tippens and Joie McCracken, Evaluation, Coverage, Growth & Analysis Program
漢語 | Español
Simply earlier than the COVID-19 pandemic started, King County communities confirmed each promising well being enhancements, in addition to new areas for concern. A brand new Group Well being Wants Evaluation report produced by The King County Hospitals for a More healthy Group in partnership with Public Well being – Seattle & King County gives perception into well being and social points affecting native communities simply earlier than the pandemic. It additionally describes some key impacts of COVID-19.
The 2021/2022 King County Group Well being Wants Evaluation (CHNA) report and accompanying Group Well being Indicator (CHI) dashboards are instruments to higher perceive the demographics, well being, and well-being of King County communities. These assets can information enchancment methods, packages, and investments to help COVID-19 response and restoration towards well being fairness.
The CHNA Government Abstract and Key Findings PowerPoint can be found on-line in each Spanish and Conventional Chinese language.
What’s getting higher throughout King County?
There are a number of methods well being was bettering in King County previous to the COVID-19 pandemic. 4 successes stand out:
- Whereas the general grownup weight problems fee has been secure, the speed amongst American Indian/Alaska Native (AIAN) residents hasdeclined by greater than 50% since 2010-2012.
- Grownup cigarette smoking has continued to say no. Whereas charges of grownup cigarette smoking in south King County are larger than the King County common, charges have been declining in that space. Sadly, although charges of youth cigarette smoking has continued to say no, the share of youth who report utilizing e-cigarettes has considerably elevated since 2016.
- The share of youth who drink sugar-sweetened drinks has decreased in all King County areas.
- Extra pregnant moms acquired early and sufficient prenatal care. This county-wide success will increase the chance of a wholesome being pregnant and beginning for households throughout King County.
- Homelessness has declined for unaccompanied youth & younger adults.
What caught our consideration
New areas of concern mirror the latest findings earlier than COVID-19:
- Evaluation of life expectancy revealed racial/ethnic disparities with notable declines amongst Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander and Hispanic residents. Life expectancy amongst south King County residents has declined for the previous 10 years.
- Extra residents are dying from unintentional accidents, with poisoning, falls, and motor-vehicle-traffic incidents because the main causes.
- Whereas charges of meals insecurity had been declining in King County, there was a big soar in Black households experiencing meals insecurity earlier than COVID-19. The hole between white and Black food-insecure households quadrupled between 2013 and 2018.
- Communities of shade proceed to be disproportionately uninsured — earlier than and after implementation of the Reasonably priced Care Act.
- After a relative decline in 2012, youth weight problems charges have been growing in King County.
These findings describe areas through which residents could also be extra susceptible to the impacts of COVID-19 and will proceed to be disproportionately burdened throughout restoration. The uneven financial affect of COVID-19 has elevated many current inequities, together with poverty and unemployment for communities of shade in King County. Communities of shade are additionally overrepresented in COVID-19 circumstances, deaths, and hospitalizations.
Wish to know extra concerning the 2021/2022 CHNA report in addition to the best way to entry information for King County?
Since COVID-19 info modifications shortly and information are up to date ceaselessly, the COVID-19 part of the report highlights some ongoing disparities all through the pandemic. A strong set of COVID-19 dashboards and surveillance techniques inform ongoing neighborhood mitigation methods, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine, and prioritization of neighborhood assets and helps.
To schedule a presentation on key findings from the 2021/2022 CHNA report or a coaching for the best way to use Group Well being Indicator dashboards to help program planning and outreach – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extra about King County Hospitals for a More healthy Group
The King County Hospitals for a More healthy Group (KC HHC) is a collaborative of 10 King County hospitals and well being techniques together with: EvergreenHealth, Kaiser Permanente, MultiCare Well being System, Navos, Overlake Medical Heart & Clinics, Seattle Most cancers Care Alliance, Seattle Youngsters’s, Swedish Well being Companies, UW Medication, and Virginia Mason Franciscan Well being with the help of the Washington State Hospital Affiliation. KC HHC works in collaboration with Public Well being – Seattle & King County.
Initially revealed June 3, 2021