As of the week ending October 1, 2022, the US has misplaced practically 1.1 million lives to COVID-19, of which about 790,000 are individuals ages 65 and older. Folks 65 and older account for 16% of the full US inhabitants however 75% of all COVID deaths thus far. Vaccinations, boosters, and coverings have led to a considerable decline in extreme illness, hospitalizations, and deaths from COVID-19, however with booster uptake lagging, deaths for older adults rose once more throughout the summer season of 2022.
From April to July 2022, the variety of deaths attributable to COVID elevated for all ages however rose at a quicker fee for older than youthful adults and stayed excessive by August 2022, with deaths attributable to COVID topping 11,000 in each July and August amongst individuals 65 and older. Whereas COVID deaths started to drop once more in September, they had been nonetheless larger for these ages 65 and older than in April or Might; for these youthful than 65, deaths dropped beneath their April ranges.
The rise in deaths is primarily a perform of accelerating instances because of the extra transmissible Omicron variant. Different elements embrace comparatively low booster uptake, in comparison with major vaccination, and waning vaccine immunity, underscoring the significance of staying updated on vaccination. On September 1st, CDC really helpful a brand new, up to date booster for all these ages 12 and older, however notably for individuals who are older.
Vaccination charges amongst individuals 65 and older had been excessive for the first vaccination collection (92.4%), however had been decrease for the primary booster (71.1%, amongst those that acquired a major collection) and even decrease for the second booster dose (43.8%, amongst those that acquired a primary booster), in line with the CDC. Comparable developments might be seen in nursing services, that are primarily comprised of individuals 65 and older. Additional, CDC information present that, amongst individuals 50 and older, those that have acquired each a major vaccination collection and booster photographs have a decrease danger of dying from COVID-19 than their non-vaccinated counterparts. Although the uptake in boosters amongst individuals 65 and older has been a lot larger than amongst individuals below 65 and they’re extra prone to say they’ll get the brand new booster as quickly as potential, booster uptake nonetheless stays comparatively low in comparison with major vaccination amongst older adults. This, mixed with the rise in deaths amongst adults 65 and older over the summer season, raises questions on whether or not extra might be completed to encourage older adults to remain updated on their vaccinations.
The entire variety of deaths for individuals 65 and older greater than doubled from April to July 2022 and stayed excessive in August 2022, topping 11,000 in each July and August (Determine 1, Desk 1).
- The variety of COVID-19 deaths amongst individuals 65 and older is now a lot decrease than on the peak of Omicron in early 2022, however deaths greater than doubled between April and July 2022 (125%) and topped greater than 11,000 in each July and August 2022.
- For individuals youthful than 65, deaths additionally elevated throughout this time, however extra slowly between April and July in comparison with older adults (52%) to about 1,900 in each July and August 2022.
- Whereas COVID deaths started to drop once more in September, they had been nonetheless larger for these ages 65 and older (~7,100 deaths) than in April (~4,900 deaths) and Might (~6,300); for these youthful than 65, deaths dropped beneath their April ranges.
- Amongst all age teams, deaths attributable to COVID-19 usually declined after the introduction of vaccines in late December 2021, however the variety of deaths spiked with the introduction of the extra transmissible Delta and Omicron variants, and attributable to comparatively low booster uptake and waning vaccine immunity, in addition to loosening COVID-19 mitigation measures.
Folks 65 and older have constantly accounted for a bigger share of COVID-19 deaths than these youthful than 65, and represented 88% of all deaths in September 2022 – the best share for the reason that pandemic started greater than two years in the past (Determine 2, Desk 1).
- With the rollout of vaccinations within the winter of 2020, the share of whole deaths attributable to COVID declined for older adults from a peak of 84% in November 2020 to a low of 58% in August and July 2021.
- For the reason that summer season of 2021, nonetheless, COVID deaths amongst individuals 65 and older have been rising as a share of all deaths, reaching 88% in September 2022 – much like the share of COVID-19 deaths accounted for by this group earlier than vaccines had been accessible.
- Folks 85 and older account for 26% of COVID-19 deaths general, however since Might 2022, have accounted for 38% or extra of all COVID-19 deaths (Desk 1).
|This evaluation makes use of information from the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, “Provisional COVID-19 Demise Counts by Intercourse and Age,” as of the week ending October 1, 2022 https://information.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Deaths-by-Intercourse-and-Age/9bhg-hcku. We embrace COVID-19 demise counts from April 2020 to September 2022. Coronavirus illness deaths are recognized utilizing the ICD–10 code U07.1. Deaths are coded to U07.1 when coronavirus illness 2019 or COVID-19 meets the definition of principal analysis. COVID-19 demise counts are based mostly on a present movement of mortality information within the Nationwide Important Statistics System. The variety of deaths reported on this dataset are the full variety of deaths acquired and coded as of the date of study, and don’t symbolize all deaths that occurred in that interval. Information throughout this era are incomplete due to the lag in time between when the demise occurred and when the demise certificates is accomplished, submitted to the Nationwide Heart for Well being Statistics (NCHS) and processed for reporting functions. This delay can vary from 1-2 weeks. As well as, demise counts for earlier weeks are regularly revised and will improve or lower as new and up to date demise certificates information are acquired.|